After-School Social Skills Group
More information regarding scheduled Social Skills Groups coming soon!
Kindergarten -1st Grade
A mixture of curriculums will be used to build a foundation in social development with this age group. These curriculums are evidence-based and have proven to be beneficial in teaching children foundational executive functioning skills essential to participating effectively in social group environments. The curriculums offer practical strategies designed to target core concepts of social development through simple terminology and kinesthetic learning activities. The concepts that will be addressed include joint attention, imitation, identification, eye gaze detection, point of view, predictions, checking in, social queries, matching behavior, and self-assessment.
2nd – 5th Grade
This age group will use a mixture of curriculums to expand on the foundation that was built at a younger age. These curriculums are evidence-based and have proven to be beneficial in teaching children the social skills needed to establish and maintain friendships and peer relationships. They teach the application of more complex social concepts such as peer acceptance, conversational skills, reputation, taking no for an answer, rules of a good sport, making a best friend, resisting teasing, respect toward adults, managing competition, and avoiding physical fights. Video modeling, role play, and kinesthetic learning activities will be used as teaching tools and homework will be given each week to encourage continued application of these concepts.
Requirements for Participation in each group:
- Independent form of effective communication
- Independence with toileting routine
- Does not require one-on-one assistance for behavioral support or communication
- Can transition through activities independently
- The first session or two will act as a trial run for children not currently enrolled in Mitchell’s Place programming to determine appropriateness for the group. Fees will not be billed until that child has been officially accepted into the program.
Check back soon for an updated schedule!