Occupational therapy is a holistic health profession that helps people across the lifespan participate in the things they want and need to do through the therapeutic use of everyday activities, also known as “occupations”. These occupations can be both the intervention and the outcome of therapy; hence the name “occupational therapy”.
At Mitchell’s Place, we provide pediatric occupational therapy conducted by licensed and experienced professionals. A child’s primary occupation is PLAY. We provide individualized therapeutic intervention to help children improve their performance in occupations by engaging them in play. Through play, children acquire the developmental skills necessary to participate in activities such as eating, sleeping, self-care, learning, and school readiness skills. Underlying difficulties with fine motor, problem solving, attention, and sensory processing skills can impede their participation in these and other daily activities.
Occupational therapy can help children better participate in their daily occupations by:
- Improving fine motor, gross motor, and coordination skills
- Promoting independence in daily living activities such as feeding, grooming, and dressing
- Addressing the fine motor, sensory, behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of feeding that lead to a healthy, well-rounded diet
- Improving sensory processing skills, such as organization, self-regulation, and emotional control
- Addressing school readiness skills such as handwriting, cutting, following multi-step directions, and problem solving
We treat children with short-term delays as well as delays due to the following common diagnoses:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder
- Developmental Delay and other Genetic Disorders
- Down Syndrome
- Sensory Processing difficulties
At Mitchell’s Place we strive to provide individualized and comprehensive services. We work with families, caregivers, and teachers to develop a plan that meets the needs of your child and family. Mitchell’s Place was founded with the mission to provide collaborative services. We work very closely with our other professionals in speech therapy, ABA, psychology, and education to provide holistic, comprehensive services for each child.
Occupational therapy services include standardized evaluations as well as treatment. Our services can be performed one-on-one or through one of our offered group programs depending on the child’s needs.